Medical Science Liaison – Vaccine & Immune Therapy
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
Support vaccine and monoclonal antibody assets against COVID-19, RSV and other infectious diseases. Respond to needs across the GCC by leveraging virtual interactions and managing key face-to-face engagements. Priority collaborative efforts will focus on external expert mapping and developing & maintaining peer-to-peer scientific relationships with key experts, including internal and external stakeholders.
This is a great opportunity to join AZ as part of the Medical team. You never stand still so you’ll have the chance to constantly grow your abilities, skills and knowledge, also we work together as agile and collaborative team, we work cross-functionally, as well as externally, to thrive at pace.
What you’ll do
External Medical & Scientific engagement
- Build, enhance and maintain the engagement with scientific leaders (KEEs)
- 70% of time in field engaging HCPs and external stakeholders across territory and brands
- Proactively identify HCPs with high levels of scientific expertise in local treatment practice to collaborate on specific medico-access activities
- Development and implementation of KEE engagement plan in collaboration with TA head. Review with the TA head this plan every quarter, develop KEE visit plan- this includes pre call visit/engagement plan with clear objective of the visit, key points discussion for the visit, data to be shared and discussed with the KEE.
- Develop own scientific knowledge for discussion on all aspects of the data to be shared with KEE in a scientific, objective and balanced way through 1:1 discussion. Prepare for such interactions with peer group discussions. Respond to unsolicited requests for information about unapproved AZ products or unapproved uses of approved products, presenting such information in an objective, scientifically balanced, substantiated manner. Develop database of Key opinion leaders and also provide recommendations for advisory board participation
- “to proactively provide scientific updates and information to KEEs and identify the relevance of the data to the scientific community
- Build and maintain trust-based relationships with external stakeholders
- Build AZ relationship with key external stakeholders (e.g. patient advocacy groups, key medical organisations, hospital pharmacy, governmental bodies). Find opportunities to collaborate with such external stakeholders. Provide scientific support in CME events and through appropriate medical sponsorships/ partnership.
- Act as scientific expert in the disease area(s) by presenting therapeutic updates to external stakeholders.
- Develop or initiate scientific programs to explore unmet medical needs in priority disease area(s)
- Work with HCPs in scientific activities that help advance disease understanding such as:
- Identify and recommend KEEs for Advisory Boards.
- Identify potential speakers and train speakers as appropriate.
- Interact in the field with the medical community in the context of various medical projects, such as clinical trials, , ESRs, scientific exchange meetings
- Discuss potential involvement in LCM such as ESR and RWEs
- Respond to unsolicited off label questions from KEEs
- Able to conduct basic discussions on clinical trials in terms of study design and feasibility
- Medical & Scientific Support for internal stakeholders
- Act as scientific expert in priority disease area(s) for internal stakeholders
- Continuously acquire and update necessary scientific knowledge on therapeutic area and relevant compounds.
- Provide the AZ internal stakeholders with an understanding of the local medical community, clinical practice, trends and real or perceived gaps in current scientific knowledge and medical treatment, competitor information
- Provide regular update on partnerships with HCPs, as speakers, or in the context of medical projects
- Initiate and conduct appropriate AZ staff training & development on information regarding current and emerging clinical data and emerging trends in clinical medicine and practice within TA
- Provide input for the development of company’s Medical and Brand plans
- To work with internal cross functional team on formulary listing.
- Provide scientific support at AZ sponsored educational events
- Compliance with relevant company and industry code of Conduct and also to comply with local country codes
- Keep regular update and operate within the relevant Codes of Conduct, Ethical Interactions (EI), including GPEI and SOPs
- Be sure to understand AZ policies when engage to KOLs and external stakeholders
Essential for the role
- Scientific Bachelor’s Degree or working towards a professional qualification
- Ability to travel (50-70%) – percentage varies with geography and travel regulations
- Understanding of multiple aspects within Medical Liaisons
- Experience in vaccine/ immunology therapy area
- Knowledge of customer segments and market dynamics (Infectious Disesae/Immunology/ Vaccine/COVID 19)
- MSL experience supporting COVID-19 franchise/ &
- Recent MSL experience supporting monoclonal antibody franchise/&
- Recent MSL experience supporting oncology or hematology franchise/&
- Recent MSL experience supporting solid organ transplant franchise/ &
- Recent MSL experience supporting vaccine franchise
Desirable for the role
- Advanced scientific degree
- Demonstrated expertise in discussing scientific content and context to multiple audiences
- Must reside in territory
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We’re on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
So, what’s next?
- Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
- Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.